WHAT IS MENSTRUATION ( PERIOD ) ?
Menstruation or period is the periodic flow of blood discharged from the uterus . The time during which menstruation occurs is known as MENSES .
For every girl or woman your menstrual cycle refers to the cycle in which your uterus grows and sheds a lining which could support the development of a fertilized egg. When an egg is fertilized pregnancy occurs and when it isn’t fertilized it comes as your period . Your menstrual cycle could occur in 28days ,Which means a girl/woman generally gets her period every 28days, there could be some differences in every female, some cycle length may be as short as 21days or as long as 40days.
This is the period when blood is released from the uterus. Menstrual bleeding typically continues for 3-5 days and may extend to 7days in some cases. Menstrual bleeding comes with disorders which most people may think is normal but it isn’t.
MENSTRUAL BLEEDING DISORDER
These are symptoms or disorders that affects period. They include;
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME : This is any uncomfortable or unpleasant symptom that causes temporary disturbance or normal functioning. This symptoms may last from many days to a few hours before your period ,the type and intensity of symptoms can vary in girls/women.
- AMENORRHEA: This is the absence of menstrual periods for more than three monthly menstrual cycle. Amenorrhea could be of two types:
Primary Amenorrhea:When menstruation doesn’t begin at puberty .
Secondary Amenorrhea: When normal and regular menstrual period becomes increasingly abnormal and irregular or even absent . This may be due to a number of reasons as part of normal course of life.
- DYSMENORRHEA: This is the severe and frequent menstrual cramps and pain associated with menstruation.
- MENORRHAGIA: This is the most common type of menstrual bleeding disorder , it is characterised by heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding. In some cases most women experience severe blood loss while in some it doesn’t. Menorrhagia can be treated so in cases like this it is advisable to talk to your doctor and receive treatment.
Menstruation is something every girl at puberty goes through which is normal. A lot of adults are negligent about this and do not even educate the younger girls about this which isn’t right .
Feel free to write down your thoughts and observations in the comment section, feel free to ask questions. Love you guys.